The Adams Family

We’re kooky, but hopefully not too creepy…

Change of Plans July 30, 2008

Filed under: Pregnancy — hjhadams @ 1:52 pm

We headed to the hospital this morning for our appointment to attempt to get this kid to flip.  The doctor did an ultrasound when we first got in to see if, by luck, Peanut had decided to move back to head-down position on his/her own.  Of course, that was a big NO.  I now have a baby with a head under my ribs on the left side and feet poking up under my ribs on the right side.  NOT comfortabe in any way.

I received a shot of Stadol, a drug that is used to relax the uterus.  My doctor, along with another doctor from her practice, worked together to try to get Peanut to move.  It was not comfortable at all, but also not as painful as I was anticipating.  They pushed hard, in both directions, and baby didn’t budge at all.

We have now moved on to Plan B.  A c-section has been scheduled for next Tuesday morning, August 5th.  I am not excited about this; I am, in fact, pretty devastated.  I was really hoping to experience the natural birth we have done so much planning for.  I feel like I’m going to be robbed of that special experience only mothers get to go through.

I know that this is not the end of the world.  I am very glad to know that baby is perfectly healthy.  I just need a little time to wrap my head around this sudden change of events.  The planner in me is somewhat relieved, because now I can have the house in order, have groceries purchased and arrangements made for the pets ahead of time.  But the other part of me was kind of looking forward to waking Jim up in the middle of the night to say, “I think this is it!”  Two weeks ago, after my weekly check-up, we were thinking I’d be going into labor in the next week or two…baby was head down and doctor said we were making great progress.  Now this.

When we go in for the c-section next week the doctor will do an ultrasound before anything else.  If Peanut has flipped back into the head-down position by then, we will be allowed to go home and wait for labor to begin on it’s own.  I am going to do whatever I can in the next few days, and I’m going to do a lot of praying…but I am trying not to get my hopes up.

I know that whatever our birth story is, it will be ours and it will be special, but I am having a hard time with this change.